In need of support?

Hearing about conversion therapy, homophobia or other forms of discrimination against LGBTQIA+ people might be difficult for you. This is something that has sadly hurt thousands of LGBTQIA+ people, and something that continues to cause damage to people across the UK today.

Experiencing homophobia, discrimination or ‘Conversion therapy’ can have a long-lasting impact on people’s mental health, with some people still experiencing trauma for months and years afterward. If you have been affected by any of these at any point in your life, support is available for you.

For Conversion Therapy in particular, there are lots of different kinds of practices that come under this umbrella term, and they can happen in all sorts of environments – including religious, psychological or psychiatric. It doesn’t matter where it took place, or whether you’re unsure if you’ve had it or not – either way, there are organisations and support services ready to listen, help and support.

We understand how anxious you might feel reaching out for support. If you haven’t spoken to someone about your sexual orientation or gender identity before, this can be a really scary thing to do. You might feel more comfortable speaking to someone from an LGBTQIA+ organisation, or you might not. Whatever you choose, all of these organisations are here to support you.

If you have friends, family or colleagues who could benefit from this support, please share this page with them.

What kind of support is right for you?

Different people may want to access different kinds of support. You might want to talk through your experiences with someone to help process what has happened to you and help you to understand your own feelings. In this case, you may want to call a helpline, or access a webchat support service.

Your experiences of conversation therapy may have left you more significant trauma that you want to access support for. In this case, counselling with an LGBTQIA+-affirmative counsellor might be the right option for you. There are a number of free counselling programmes across the country, and one of the helplines listed below should be able to help you find an appropriate counsellor in your local area. If you don’t want to access support through an LGBTQIA+ organisation, your GP can also refer you for counselling.

LGBTQIA+ support organisations

  • GALOP supporting all LGBT+ people who have experienced hate crime, domestic abuse or sexual violence
  • GIRES – available to provide limited support via our phone line Monday to Friday during office hours. You can also contact GIRES at
  • LGBT FOUNDATION – offers a range of services for LGBT people, including wellbeing support via a national helpline – 0345 3 30 30 30 and
  • MERMAIDS – helping gender-diverse kids, young people and their families since 1995.
  • MindOUT – an LGBTQ mental health charity, with a range of support including helpline, webchat and counselling.
  • MindLine Trans+ – emotional support helpline for trans+ people – 0300 330 5468
  • Switchboard LGBT – advice and support for LGBT people, including a helpline, email and webchat service – 0300 330 0630

If you can’t find what you need, please browse Stonewall’s list of organisations that can help during the COVID-19 crisis, or contact Stonewall’s Information Service. You can also find a list of organisations on LGBT Consortium’s Members Directory.

General support organisations

Age UK – a national organisation offering support for older people in the UK. You can call their Advice Line on 0800 169 6565

Childline – a free, private and confidential service for young people aged under 19 in the UK. Call 0800 1111

Mind – a national mental health charity offering advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Call the Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393

Samaritans – whatever you’re going through, Samaritans are there for you 24hrs a day, 365 days a year. Call 116 123 for free, or email

SHOUT – a 24hr crisis text support service. Text ‘Switchboard’ or 85258

If you feel you or someone else is in immediate danger, or are at risk of being unsafe, call 999 or go to your local A&E for emergency support